Matooke Recipe – Uganda food recipe
Matooke is authentic Ugandan food. It is immensely popular with Ugandan locals especially in the central region. In today’s post, we’re writing about the best of the best in relation to Ugandan foods, and the one that you must absolutely try when you visit Uganda or whenever you feel like eating like a Ugandan.
- 10 bananas peeled (these are the green cooking bananas or unripe plantain not the yellow desert ones)
- 2 cups water
Prep | Cook | Ready In
15 m 20 m 35m
- Put the peeled bananas in a deep pot. Add water until all the bananas are fully covered. Cover the cooking pot.
- Boil for 15 minutes, reducing the heat when the water begins to froth but continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until the bananas turn yellow.
- Drain all the water and mash the bananas with a potato masher or wooden spoon
- Serve while still hot because the food hardens when cold.
Note: As a rule, matooke preparation is much about the procedure of preparation , so you have to make sure you follow the traditional procedure for the best taste.
Nile Basin Safaris is a leading tour operator based in Uganda. We organise safari expeditions to Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, and Tanzania.
Our Safari trips to Uganda and the rest of East Africa provide you with plenty of opportunities to experience the best of East Africa’s foods because food is one of the main reasons why tourists like to travel to East Africa.